Special Education Needs Information

Worth Valley Primary School SEN Information


This document is intended to give you information regarding the ways in which we ensure that we support all of our pupils, including those with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, in order that they can reach their full potential. It may not list every skill, resource and technique we employ in order to achieve this, as these are continually developed and used to modify our provision to meet the changing requirements for individual pupils.

Local Approach

This document has been produced jointly by the schools of the Worth Valley Learning Partnership, with each school adding its own specific information. In Bradford all schools have a similar graduated approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities and are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils regardless of their specific needs make the best possible progress in school. All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible with the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible where families want this to happen.

For more information about Bradford’s Local Offer follow this link:  https://localoffer.bradford.gov.uk/

School Approach

We are a fully inclusive, mainstream Primary School, who ensures that all pupils achieve their potential personally, socially, emotionally and academically in all areas of the curriculum (regardless of their gender, ethnicity, social background, religion, sexual identity, physical ability or educational needs).

Children are identified as having Special Educational Needs when their progress has slowed or stopped and the interventions, resources etc put in place do not enable improvement. Once this occurs, we have specific needs based plans and pupil profiles which help support their development and accelerate progress. Other useful documents such as our SEND and Inclusion Policy and the Bradford Local Offer documents are also available on the school website. If you would like any further information about what we are able to offer at Worth Valley Primary School then please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

Question School Response
How do you identify Special Educational Learning Needs?
  •  When pupils have identified SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities) before they start at Worth Valley Primary School, we work with the people who already know them and use the information already available to identify what their specific needs will be in our school setting.
  • The progress of all pupils is monitored regularly
  • If you inform us that you think your child has a Special Educational Need or Disability, we will discuss this with you and look at what assessments or provision may be required– we will share with you what we find and agree with you what we will do next and what you can do to help your child.
  • If our teachers think your child may have a Special Educational Need or Disability, this may be because they are not making the same progress as other pupils. We will observe them, and carry out further assessments to pinpoint what is causing difficulty (what is happening and why).
  • The specialist SENCO assistant or Learning Mentor may work with your child at this point in order to complete a range of assessments to highlight your child’s strengths and possible areas of weakness so that support can be carefully targeted to their needs.
  • Your child will have a “Pupil Portrait” which sets out what works best for them.  This will be shared with parents/carers throughout the school year, alongside individual targets.
How could my child get help in school? :
  • Children in school will get support that is specific to their individual needs. This will provided by the class teacher and may also involve other staff in the school.
  • Staff who will visit the school from the Local Authority central services; such as the ASD Outreach Team or Learning Support Services (Refer to end – Other Agencies)
  • Staff who visit from outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service.
How is extra support allocated to children and how do they move between the different ranges?
  • The school budget, received from Bradford LA, includes money for supporting children with SEND.
  • The Head Teacher decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school.
  • The Head Teacher and the SENCO discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including
  • the   children getting extra support already
  • the children needing extra support
  • the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected and decide what resources/training and support is needed.
  • All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.
How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?
  • If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s Teacher initially.
  • The concerns may need referring to the SENCO if your child is still not making progress.
  • If you continue to feel that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the Headteacher or the school SENCO. (Please refer to staffing list)
How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?
  • When a teacher has raised concerns about your child’s progress, and targeted teaching has not met the child’s needs, the teacher must raise this with the SENCO
  • Worth Valley Primary School has an Inclusion Team where concerns are discussed and appropriate actions agreed and reviewed.
  • There are regular reviews and then subsequently meetings between the Head/SENCO, Deputy, SENCO assistant and class teachers to ensure all children are making good progress. This is another way your child may be identified as not making as much progress as they could be.
  • If your child is then identified as not making progress, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and listen to any concerns you may have too.
How will the teaching be adapted for my child with learning needs (SEND)?
  • Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that your child’s needs are met. All teachers are provided with information on the needs of individual pupils, so that they can plan the learning within our curriculum to ensure that all pupils are able to make progress.
  • Differentiation is planned for groups and individuals according to need: for example, for a child who has Speech, Language and Communication Needs (SLCN), teachers will use simplified language and/or pictures to support them to understand new vocabulary.
  • Support staff will support with your child’s learning in the classroom
  • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and/or in groups.
  • Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs.
How will school support my child?
  • Our school provision map shows the range of interventions in place in our school which may be used when we identify a need for additional support.
  • When the school identifies the need for additional intervention to enable a pupil to make expected progress, the parents/carers will be informed of the planned support and may be invited to a meeting at the school to discuss this further. If the pupil meets the criteria for special educational needs or disabilities (SEND), a provision map will be created, detailing the exact support the pupil will receive using the Bradford Ranges 1, 2 and 3; a copy of this will be provided to parents / Carers.
  • We will monitor the progress of all children receiving additional support to ensure that the provision we have put in place is having the impact we are expecting.
  • Governors are responsible for monitoring the effectiveness of the provision in place for pupils identified with SEND and they will receive a report from the SENCO on the progress of pupils with SEND.
  • The Warren provision in school is available for pupils with complex needs and/or ASD Diagnosis who need a personalised, smaller classroom setting.
How will we measure the progress of your child in school?
  • Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/ her teachers and the Leadership Team.
  • His / Her progress is reviewed formally every term and a point on the assessment tracker is given in reading, writing and maths.
  • If your child is well below point 6 for their year group, your child will be assessed using a scale of levels  known as ‘P levels’ or a Developmental Journal.
  • At the end of Reception, Key Stage 1 and 2 the school is required to report attainment levels for your child. This is something the government requires all schools to do and the results that are published nationally.
  • The progress of children with a statement of SEND/ EHC Plan (at Bradford’s Range 4 to 7) is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.
  • If your child has a “My Support Plan” this will be reviewed every 6 months.
  • The SENCO will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.
How will both you and I know how my child is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s development?
  • Annual reports and termly Parents’ Evenings give all parents and carers regular feedback on their child’s up to date academic levels, individual reading, writing and maths targets and any behavioural, emotional or social difficulties.
  • When appropriate, parents/carers may be contacted mid-term to discuss the support that the school are providing and how they can help their child at home: this may be a phone call or a meeting. Pupils’ views will be obtained and when appropriate, they may attend all or part of any meeting.
  • Your child’s class teacher will prepare a Pupil Portrait specifically detailing provision for your child and individual targets
What support will there be for my child’s/young person’s overall well-being?
  • The well-being of all of our pupils is our primary concern at Worth Valley Primary School. They are supported with their social and emotional development throughout the school day, through the curriculum and extra-curricular activities. Personal, Social and Health Education (PSHE), Social and Emotional Aspects of Learning and PATHS are integral to our curriculum and are also taught explicitly on a weekly basis.
  • We always have an appropriate number of first aiders and paediatric first aiders within school and on educational visits.
  • If a pupil has a medical need, then a detailed Care Plan is compiled with support from the School Nurse in consultation with parents / carers. These are discussed with all staff who are involved with the pupil.
  • Where necessary and in agreement with parents/ carers prescribed medicines are administered in school, but only where a signed medicine consent form is in place to ensure the safety of both child and staff member.
  • Additional support from specialist staff is arranged as needed for individual pupils, both in and out of the classroom; a tailored personal plan may be put in place for pupils with the highest need.
  • Our Behaviour Policy; which includes guidance on expectations, rewards and sanctions is fully understood and in place by all staff.
  • We regularly monitor attendance, support pupils returning to school after absence and take the necessary actions to prevent prolonged unauthorised absence.
  • Relevant staff are trained to support medical needs and in some cases all staff receive training. We have a medical policy in place.
  •   Pupils’ views are sought through school council and other forums.
What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?
  • All external partners we work with are vetted in terms of safe guarding and when buying in additional services we monitor the impact of any intervention against cost, to ensure a value for money service.
  • At appropriate times, schools will contact and seek advice from a range of Educational outside agencies, Outreach Services and health professionals (Refer to list at end of this document)
  • We work with Social Services, Bradford Family Support and Community Police
  • We also have a Parental and welfare officer to support families.
What support do we have for you as a parent/ carer of a child with an SEND?
  • We would like you to talk to your child’s teachers regularly, so we know how they are doing at home and we can tell you about what we are doing in school. We hope this will make sure that we are doing similar things to support your child both at home and school and can share what is working in both places.
  • The SENCO/SENCO assistant are available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report. The SENCO will also arrange to meet with you to discuss any new assessments and ideas suggested by outside agencies for your child.
  • Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs.
  • The parental and welfare officer is also able to signpost families to additional support that they are able to receive out of school.
How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?
  • We actively try to ensure that all our extra-curricular activities, including residentials, are adapted for children’s specific needs. Risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in place to enable all children to participate, where possible. However, if it is deemed that an intensive level of one to one support is required, a parent / carer may be asked to accompany their child during the activity or alternative provision made.
How have we made sure Worth Valley Primary School is accessible to children with SEN?

(Including after school clubs etc.)

  • As a school we are happy to discuss individual access requirements. Facilities we have at present include:

–       Lift and stair lift

–       Ramps

–       Disabled toilets

–       Wide doors and corridors

  • We ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
  • Visual prompts are used across the school to support learning.
How will we support your child when they are leaving this school?

OR moving to another Year?


We recognise that ‘moving on’ can be difficult, especially for a child with SEND. We personalise our transition to ensure that these are as smooth as possible.

  • If your child is moving to another school:
  • We will contact the school SENCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
  • The SENCO will arrange additional visits to new schools for your child and personalised resources to support transition may be used.
  • Staff from the receiving school may also visit to see your child in their current setting.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
  • Teachers will attend Bradford training around transition arrangements
  • When moving years in school:
  • Information about your child will be shared with their new teachers.
  • Children may be given transition cards/photo books which show key staff, routines and areas in the classroom.
  • If your child would be helped by a personalised plan for moving to another year, we will put this in place.
Questions Type of support provided What this could mean for your child Who can get this kind of support?
What are the different types of support available for children with SEN in this school? Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching.
  • Ensuring that the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • Ensuring that all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Putting in place different ways of teaching, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more kinaesthetic learning and personalised teaching and learning approaches.
  • Putting in place specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO or outside staff) to support your child to learn.
All children in school should be getting this as a part of outstanding classroom practice.
Specific group work with in a smaller group of children. This group may be

  • Run in the classroom or outside.
  • Run by a member of staff who has had training to run these groups.



Stage of SEN Code of Practice:

School Action (Bradford Range 1,2,), which means they have been identified by the class teacher as needing some extra support in school.


The nurture room is available with specialist time available for children with social and emotional needs.

  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.
  • A teaching assistant/teacher or outside professional (like a Speech and Language Therapist) may run small group sessions using the teacher’s plans either in a small group or within the classroom setting















  • The parental and welfare officer runs activities to support the needs of children with specific emotional, social and behavioural needs and also with children and families who may find engagement with, or attendance at, school more challenging.
Any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning.


Children will be at the stage of the SEN Code of Practice called School Action (Bradford Range 1,2), which means they have been identified by the class teacher as needing some extra support in school.

Specialist groups run by or in partnership with outside agencies e.g Speech and Language therapy or Occupational therapy groups


AND/OR   Individual support

for your child of less than 20 hours in school


Stage of SEN Code of Practice:

School Action Plus (Bradford Range 3), which means they have been identified by the class teacher/SENCO as needing some additional specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

  • E.g ASD Team or Learning Difficulties team

Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service, Educational Psychologist.

  • Your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENCO (or you will have raised your worries) as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to outstanding class room teaching and intervention groups.
  • You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.
  • The specialist professional will work with your   child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:
  • Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better
  • Support to set better targets which will include their specific expertise for teachers to implement
  • A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g a social skills group
  • A group or individual work with outside professional
  • The school may suggest that your child needs some agreed individual support in school. They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.
Children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.


Specified Individual support for your child of more than 20 hours in school.


Bradford Range 4,5


This is usually provided via “My Support Plan” or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENCO as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching (more than 20 hours a week), which cannot be provided from the budget available to the school.


Usually your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from services such as:

·          ASD Team

·         Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service.



  • The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process and you can find more detail about this in the Bradford Local Offer.
  • After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the support at School Action Plus (Range 1,2).
  • After the reports have all been sent in, the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe/ complex and that they need more than 20 hours of support in school to make good progress. If this is the case they will write a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Educational Health and Care Plan. If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the support at School Action Plus (Range 1,2) or through My Support Plan
  • My Support Plan or The Statement or Educational Health and Care Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.
  • The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.
Children whose learning needs are:

·         Severe, complex and/or need more than 20 hours of support in school







































All of the people named below can be contacted by telephoning the school office on 01535 604240 or by email at office@worthvalleyprimary.co.uk

School Based Information People Summary of Responsibilities
Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/ Special Educational Needs/Disability (SEND)?

And how can I talk to them about my child if I need to?

Class teacher He/ She is responsible for:

  • Ensuring that all children have access to good/outstanding teaching and that the curriculum is adapted to meet your child’s individual needs (also known as differentiation).
  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support, adapting resources etc.) and discussing amendments with the SENCO as necessary.
  • Writing Individual Education Plans (IEP), and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term.
  • Ensuring that all members of staff working with your child in school are aware of your child’s individual needs and/or conditions and what specific adjustments need to be made to enable them to be included and make progress.
  • Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are supported in delivering the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.
The Inclusion Team Including:-


Miss Ceinwen Lodge

The Special Educational Needs Co-Ordinator (SENCO)

Mrs Rachael Page


Parental and welfare Officer

Mrs Tonya Barnes


SEND Support Workers

Miss Wendy Holmes, Mrs Sarah Myers, Mrs Colette Halifax, Mrs Julie Clarke, Mr Conor Caveney

As part of the graduated response, he/ she is responsible for:

  • Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs (SEN) and or disabilities, and developing the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
  • Ensuring that you are:
  • involved in supporting your child’s learning
  • kept informed about the support your child is getting involved in reviewing how they are doing
  • part of planning ahead for them.
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc…
  • Updating the school’s SEND Record of Need, (a system for ensuring all the special educational, physical and sensory needs of pupils in this school are known and understood) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.
  • To provide specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school, so they can help your child to achieve their potential.
  • Supporting your child’s class teacher to write personalised Learning Plans, also sometimes called Individual Education Plans (IEP) that specify the targets set for your child to achieve.
  • Organising training for staff, so they are aware and confident about how to meet the needs of your child and others within our school.
Teaching / Support Assistant may be allocated to some pupils with SEN and or disabilities We have Teaching / Support Assistants in the majority of lessons who also may be allocated to some pupils with more significant Special Educational Needs and/or disabilities.

As a school, we welcome regular dialogue between parents and Teaching Assistants on how a child’s day has been and we do actively encourage this continued feedback. The class teachers and Inclusion Team will provide the feedback about ongoing progress and provision.

Head Teacher

Miss Ceinwen Lodge

As part of the graduated response, she is responsible for: –

  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEN and/or disabilities. He/ She will give responsibility to the SENCO and class teachers but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • She must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.
SEND Governor

Miss Jackie Dunlop


She is responsible for:

  • Making sure that the school has an up to date SEND Policy.
  • Making sure that the school has appropriate provision and has made necessary adaptations to meet the needs of all children in the school.
  • Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEN and/or disabilities.
  • Making visits to understand and monitor the support given to children with SEND in the school and being part of the process to ensure your child achieves his/her potential in school.
Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND in this school? School Parental and welfare officer-  Mrs Tonya Barnes
Services provided by the Local Authority for schools:-

–       Autism Support Service

–       Learning Difficulties Team

–       Educational Psychologist

–       Social, Emotional and Behavioural difficulties Team

–       Pre 5 / Early Years Service

–       Physical Difficulties Team

–       Visual Impairment Team

–       Hearing Impairment Team

Provided by Local Health Authority

–       School Nurse

–       Health Visitors

–       Occupational Therapist

–       Community Paediatrician

–       Physiotherapist

–       Speech and Language Therapist (SALT)

–       Child And Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)


Other Services include:

–       Asperger’s Community Support Team (ACST)

–       Parent Partnership (Barnadoes) to support families through families through the SEN processes and procedures.

–       Treetops Children’s Centre

–       Family Support Workers

–       Play Partners – Support to access extra curricular activities

–       PalZ+ – Support for children with emotional difficulties

–       Escayp -Counselling

Contact information can be found at www.bradford.gov.uk


  • Complaints Procedure
  • If Parents/carers have a complaint about the SEND provision in school they may initially contact:
  • The class teacher
  • SENCO- Mrs Rachael Page
  • Headteacher- Miss Ceinwen Lodge
  • Chair of Governors- Mr Samuel Quigley
  • All the above contacts can be contacted on:
  • office@worthvalleyprimary.co.uk or 01535 604240 
  • In response, the class teacher and the SENCO will provide evidence of work undertaken, targets and assessments of progress to be discussed with parents. If a problem is still not resolved parents may then contact the Local governing body to request a meeting.  This may lead to a formal complaint to the LA/Academy board or with an appeal to the SEND tribunal.
IEP Individual Education Plan sometimes called Learning Plans
EHCP Education, Health, Care Plan
SEN Special Educational Needs
SEND Special Educational Needs and or disabilities
SALT Speech and Language Therapist
CAMHS Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service
EP Educational Psychologist
ASD Autistic Spectrum Disorder
SENCO Special Educational Needs Coordinator
SEN Special Educational Needs SEN Code of Practice The legal document that sets out the requirements for SEN
MSP My Support Plan